Happy New Year! I am so thankful to see another year. This year we cheers to new beginnings, and new blessings. May this year be even better than last, and filled with happiness. Enjoy 31 Things To Do In New Orleans With Kids This January.
The number coincides with the date, and * denotes the event is free.
1. HAPPY NEW YEAR!
2. Attend STEM Lab at the Louisiana Children’s Museum from 11am- 11:15am to find out how animals stay warm in the winter.
3. Make music in the Village before it closes to the public for the “winter”. Music Box Village will open at 10am for musical fun.*
4. Check out a First Friday, Family-Friendly concert featuring Johnette Downing at Dutch Alley/in the French Market from 11am- 11:45am.*
5. Geek out at Wizard World Comic Con New Orleans in the Ernest N. Morial Convention Center. Wizard World New Orleans takes place January 4th- January 6th.
6. Start the New Year off with a Twelfth Night Parade as the Phunny Phorty Phellows ride the Streetcar at 6:30pm and the Joan of Arc walking parade makes its way through the quarter at 7pm.*
7. Hang out with Ronnie Malinosky and other local musicians at Sake Cafe of Chateau from 5pm-7pm for New Year Sushi Jam the whole family will enjoy!*
8. Schedule a FREE music lesson at School of Rock in Metairie.*
9. Dance it up with Footprints to Fitness and NORD at the Milne Rec Center. We’re bringing NOLA style Zumba every Wednesday from 6pm- 7pm.*
10. It’s family Board Game Night at the Edith S. Lawson Library in Westwego from 6pm-8pm.*
11. Laugh and sing-a-long to You’re A Good Man Charlie Brown performed by the Archbishop Rummel Genesian Players. Performances are held from 10am-12pm, and 6:30pm-10pm.
12. Commemorate the Louisiana Heroic 1811 Slave Revolt Anniversary from 10am-5pm at the Family Day Festival of Black History in Luling.*
13. Take a guided tour of the New Canal Lighthouse.
14. It’s Lego Night from 6:30pm-7:30pm at the River Ridge Library. Come build success.*
15. The East Bank Regional Library is screening Crazy Rich Asians for teens to enjoy from 4:30- 6:30.*
16. Learn the basics of cartooning, drawing and caricature with Eli Ivory at The National WWII Museum for 5pm.
17. We love our boys in black & gold! Enjoy storytime and a craft with “One Dat, Two Dat: Are You a Who Dat? at the Harahan Library from 4:40pm-5:15pm.*
18. Take your teen to see Shear Madness at the Westwego Performing arts Center. It’s the longest running Non-Musical in theatre history, and the comedy starts at 7:30pm.
19. Boy and Girl Scouts in uniform receive FREE entry into the National WWII Museum. Special activities will take place, and their families also receive discounted entry.*
20. Create moving video from 12pm-2pm with 3D and mixed art inspired by Martin Luther King Jr’s “I have a dream” speech at the Microsoft Store in Lakeside Mall.*
21. Take advantage of city wide ceremonies honoring the great Martin Luther King Jr. In addition, there will be special activities and FREE entry to the Ogden Museum of Southern Art, as well as the Louisiana Children’s Museum. *
22. Join Craft Night from 5:30pm-6pm to build Straw Airplanes at the Jane O’Brien Chatelain West Bank Regional Library.*
23. Explore wildlife by taking a ranger guided Wetlands Walk at Jean Lafitte National Historical Park and Preserve for 10am.*
24. Show off your driving skills from 3pm-4:30pm in a Mario Kart Tournament at the Jane O’Brien Chatelain West Bank Regional Library.*
25. Drop off the kids from 6:30pm- 9:30pm for Friday Night Fun Night at Ivanov’s Gymnastics Academy.
26. Eat your heart out at the River Bend BBQ Festival from 10am-5pm in Lafreniere Park.*
27. See who wears the crown at the King Cake Festival from 10am-4pm in Champions Square.*
28. Practice your swing at City Putt in City Park.
29. Become lost in space at the Space Center and Planetarium and Megadome Cinema in Rivertown from 11am-3pm.
30. Visit the New Orleans Museum of Art to admire the incoming exhibitions from 10am-6pm.*
31. Listen to Hector and Hummingbird then construct a hummingbird to take home during storytime at 11am-12pm with craft at the Rosedale Library.*
Have a wonderful January!