I originally made these Boston Cream Pie Cupcakes years ago as part of a States Unit Study my now 18 year old was doing in middle school.
I came across the recipe a few weeks ago and just knew I had to make them again. I changed a few things up from the original recipe but I think they came out better than the first time.
My taste testers aka the kids LOVED them.
The best part about these cupcakes is they are super easy to make.
First you need to whip up a batch of your favorite vanilla/yellow cake mix. Yes you can make the cake from scratch but I’m all about easy. Our favorite is the King Arthur Gluten Free Yellow Cake Mix. Of all the gluten free cake mixes I have tried over the years, King Arthur’s taste the most like regular yellow cake.
After your cupcakes are done baking, take them out to cool. While they are cooling, make your filling.
For the filling I wanted a thicker more whipped cream consistency, so I used sugar free vanilla pudding mixed with heavy whipping cream. I used the sugar free because it was all I had on hand plus I find it gives me more of the whipped cream consistency I wanted.
Just put the package of pudding in a mixing bowl and add in two cups of heavy whipping cream and beat the mixture until you have whipped cream!
Now that your cupcakes are cool you need to cut a hole in the top for the filling. I just take a butter knife and cut around the outer edge to form my hole. C
ut off the excess cake from the top you just cut our and set it aside.
Now get a ziplock bag and fill it with your pudding, cutting off one of the corners. Use this like a decorating bag and fill your cupcakes. When your’e done put the top you cut off back on.
Now you need to make the chocolate frosting that goes over the cupakes.
For the chocolate you will need unsweet baking chocolate, butter, powdered sugar, vanilla and water.
First you’ll need to put the chocolate about 2 oz or 1/2 a bar of unsweet baking chocolate and your butter in a double boiler to melt. Once it’s melted remove from heat and stir in 2 cups of powdered sugar and 1 tsp of vanilla until blended well. Add in 6-8 teaspoons of water until the mixture is pourable (not too thin but not too thick).
Let the chocolate thicken just a bit, you don’t want it too runny, then with a spoon pour it over your cupcakes.
Chill them in the fridge until your are ready to eat! And enjoy!
Vanilla cupcakes with a whipped cream vanilla pudding filling and a chocolate ganache like icing.
- 1 box of your favorite vanilla / yellow cake mix. We used King Arthur's Gluten Free Yellow Cake Mix.
- 1 box of sugar free instant vanilla pudding
- 2 cups of heavy whipping cream
- 2 oz of unsweet baking chocolate
- 2 tbsp of butter
- 2 cups of powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 6-8 tsp of water
- Cook cupcakes according to package directions
- Once cupcakes are done baking set aside and let cool.
- In a mixing bowl add one packet of sugar free vanilla instant pudding and 2 cups of heavy whipping cream and beat the mixture until it is the consistency of whipped cream.
- When the cupcake are cool, cut a hole into them to make it a little hollow inside.
- Put the pudding in a Ziploc bag, cut the corner of the bag to use as like a decorating bag, you'll use this to fill your cupcakes.
- Fill your cupcakes with the pudding, cut the excess cake off the top of your cut pieces and put them back over the pudding.
- In a double boiler add in 2 oz of unsweet chocolate and 2 tbs of butter, melt over a low heat stirring constantly.
- Once chocolate is melted remove from heat and stir in 2 cups of powdered sugar and 1 tsp of vanilla. Add in 6-8 tsp of water to make the chocolate icing pourable (not too thick but not too thin).
- Let chocolate mixture sit for a minute to thicken some and then spoon it over the tops of your cupcakes.
- Chill until ready to serve.